Tuesday, April 24, 2012

More Than One “Good Book” Can Help a Foster Parent: Recommended Reading


~ by John and Diane
Although much of what I learned about Fostering kids has come from God and experience, the books I read during my training was an essential part of my foundation.  I am not sure if all Foster parent training is the same, or if adoptive parents are aware of resources like this, but I wanted to share with all of you some of the books I read during my training. Most of these deal with working with children with histories of sexual abuse or other trauma.

I also included some information about the disciplinary systems I reference, Love and Logic and 123 Magic.  All these resources can be found on Amazon.com and I will include them in our Amazon Books Links shortly, or just copy and paste them into your browser to find them online. 

Do you have books you would recommend other parents to read?  Please share your recommended readings in the comments section!

 The Fourteenth Year - by Kelly Watt

Peter's Lullaby - by Jeanne Fowler

What Parents Need to Know - Help for Grieving and Traumatized Children
by William Steele





Disciplinary Systems:

The Love and Logic series by Foster Cline and Jim Fay:




Image:  License
AttributionNoncommercial Some rights reserved by jon.hayes

2 comments:

  1. Parenting the Hurt Child by Keck/.Kupecky
    The Connected Child - Karyn Purvis

    Both of these books have been invaluable to me understanding the attachment process, why foster kids act the way they do, why traditional parenting techniques don't work with foster-adopted kids and what are some alternative methods to use. Lots of information on RAD or very helpful if you have a kid who acts "RAD"ish from time to time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your recommendation! I know a lot of parents on our facebook page deal with RAD kids, and your recommendation will be very valuable to them. Thanks again for taking time to comment!
    ~ John, FPR
    via Diane (web diva)

    ReplyDelete

Adsense