Thursday, March 8, 2012

Introductions:


Hi, My name is John and I have been a foster dad for over 10 years. I run a foster group home in Michigan. Although I have had girls and boys of all ages through the years, and with all sorts of abilities and challenges, my focus through the last many years has been on boys with detachment disorders, alcohol syndrome kids, attention deficit disorders and severe behavioral problems stemming from sexual, verbal and other physical abuse. My kids are tough and this is often their last stop and their last hope within the system before being incarcerated or institutionalized permanently. I work with counselors, teachers, judges, doctors, therapists, parole officers and parents. Sometimes I don’t know how exactly I got here, but I feel like this is my calling, and I am doing God’s work, trying to help His kids the best I can.

I know that if you are reading this, you probably feel the same. You may be frustrated, and scared, unsure if you are doing the right thing for your troubled kid. I am right there with you. I am here to help you if I can.

My approaches are sometimes unconventional, and I have been asked many times to share my techniques with parents and social workers here in Michigan. Maybe I am just lucky, but the things I do work with the toughest kids, and with God’s help, I am happy to say that I have been able to bring kid’s out from dark places and back into a world that wants to embrace them.

I am starting this page to share information and experiences and to offer advice if I can. I am starting to work on some eBooks to detail some of my approaches, but I am more than willing to help you if I can, or at least provide a place for us all to help each other.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome to hear your story! Thank you so much for the work you do for these children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and to you as well! Love the photos on your blog! Very nice! Have added you to our links section!
    - John
    (via Diane blog diva)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this blog!My husband and I want to be foster parents but want to research it more before we jump in, your blog has been very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I appreciate it! If you have any questions, please let me know, if there is anything specific you are wondering about I am more than happy to address it and find some answers for you if I don't know. I started the blog to help fill in the blanks of all the stuff "they" don't tell you, so I hope it is helpful. Stay tuned, plenty more to come! ~ John FPR

    ReplyDelete

Adsense